I know a lot of people did this thing on Facebook this month where they posted one thing they were thankful for each day… I didn’t do that. Are you kidding? I could never stick to something for 30 days in a row!! But I do have a lot in my life that I’m thankful for, all the same! So, I thought I’d wrap up November by posting a few things here. *cue sappy music*
1. I am thankful for the roof over my head, the wheels that get me around town, food on the table, and modern conveniences like heat, electric, and running water. I know, that’s a lot for one entry in this list… but it’s all kind of lumped under the same category in my warped, little mind somehow! I spend a lot of time thinking about how much I don’t have or wish I had, hoping that in the future my life will be filled with bigger and better, more expensive “things.” But, when it comes down to it, I’m not lacking much! I have the necessities… and then some… and then some more. It might not seem like much to someone else, and I know there will always be bigger, better things to wish and strive for. But, really, I do have all that I need in life… and then some (did I say that already??).
2. I am incredibly thankful… as in, I couldn’t even begin to describe how thankful I am… for anti-depressants, the geniuses who created them, the doctors who prescribe them for me, and the fact that I finally recognize (after many years of denial) that I need them, that I’m a much better, healthier, happier person with these wonderful drugs coursing through my veins! Maybe that sounds a bit dramatic (I know, shocking to find drama here, from me!)… but it’s not really an exaggeration. Every day when I swallow happy pills, I’m grateful for their existence… and for how much more pleasant they make MY existence on a daily basis.
3. It almost pains me to admit this, but… I am thankful for my job. There, I said it! I complain about my job and about working from home a lot, I know. But, honestly, my complaints don’t have a lot to do with the job itself. I enjoy editing, for the most part. I enjoy being my own boss and wearing my jammies to work every day and having the freedom and flexibility that working from home allows. I do appreciate all of that. Really. Oh, and paychecks are always a good thing… I like those, too! Most of my problems with my job are really problems with ME and my lack of discipline and crappy time management skills. I know this. I’m working on it… every day. But I AM thankful for the job. I’ve made some changes this year re: clients and projects that I take on, and they’ve all been changes for the better. So, I’m learning to enjoy my work again… I’m thankful for that.
4. This goes without saying (I hope!)… but I’m so ridiculously thankful for Damon and Avery. I have trouble putting into words just how very thankful I am for them and the blessings they’ve been in my life. Without those two, I honestly don’t know who I would be today. They are just… my everything. It’s not always easy being a mom, Lord knows… and it’s certainly NOTHING like I imagined it would be before I became one. Not even close. But at the end of every long, frazzled day, I thank my lucky stars that I was chosen to be their mom. They are wonderful, beautiful, perfect (okay, nearly perfect!) kids, and I’m proud to say that “I did that!!” It’s pretty darn miraculous… in a million different ways.
5. Last but certainly not least… I’m thankful for my dear husband. Again, I know this one was predictable (okay, so maybe they were ALL predictable!), but honestly sometimes even I’m surprised by how grateful I am for him!! Nick has taught me so much about myself, about life, about living… and, most importantly, he has truly taught me how to love. For all that I THOUGHT I knew about love when I met him, really I was starting with a clean slate… with no idea what it meant to love another person day in and day out, no idea what living with and considering another person meant. I know we both still have a lot to learn. But I’m so thankful for the last 12 years… for the good and bad times, because there have been plenty of both! And it’s all gotten us where we are today. I’m proud of what we’ve done together, of how far we’ve come, and of the life we’ve made for ourselves and our children. “Thankful” really isn’t a big enough word to describe it… but it’s a start.
Okay, now that we all have cavities… because I know that was wayyyy too much sweetness for one post… I’ll stop. Of course there’s a lot more that I’m thankful for. But, like any acceptance speech, this could go on forever. There’s really no end to our blessings in this life, is there?? And I’m thankful for that, too.
(I’m also thankful that this month of “Thanksgiving” has now come to an end! Way too much happy, happy, joy, joy going on lately for me!! Bring on the Bah Humbug!!!! [I really AM my father’s child! ahahahaha!])