I’m not sure I’ve ever actually done a Thursday Thirteen post. I thought I had, years ago, but couldn’t find anything by doing a search of my blog… so, huh, maybe I never have. But, I’ve been a really unoriginal blogger lately… I sit down to make a post and come up with a bit, fat nothing. And, although 13 is a big number and I’m a little intimidated (how about a Thursday Three meme??), I’m going to play along this week.
In about 2 weeks, Nick and I are packing up the kids and heading over the mountains and across the Bay to spend a weekend back “home.” We haven’t been back since we moved, almost 2 years ago! So, here are thirteen reasons I’m sooo looking forward to our trip.
1. A night out with my Mommy Friends! That was my excuse for making the trip… Just Moms (the best Moms’ Group in the world!) is having their annual Christmas party that weekend. I missed last year’s party, and I was determined to make it this time. It’s always a memorable evening for all of us… and I can’t wait to see my friends again! It’s been way too long!
2. The Ocean. I can’t even tell you how much I’ve missed the Atlantic Ocean these last 2 years. I’d lived for years with the Ocean practically in my backyard… and now it’s almost 500 miles away. And I’ve missed it… a lot. My husband grew up a river rat, and he swears that the Ohio River (which is in our backyard now) is even better than the Ocean. I’m sorry, honey, but that’s just not true. Nothing compares to the Ocean.
3. An Oceanfront room! My Gram is wonderful, and she reserved us an Oceanfront hotel room for the weekend. I might just sit on the balcony for two days straight and stare out at my Ocean while I can! Yes, I love it that much.
4. Did I mention my Gram?!?! Aside from leaving my Mommy friends two years ago, I also had to say goodbye to Gram and Cliff. And I’ve missed spending time with my Gram. We used to try to meet for lunch once a week when I lived near her, and I always treasured those times, with just the two of us. I never intended for two whole years to go by without a visit home to see her. This reunion is long overdue!
5. Damon and Elias. My friend Trish’s little boy Elias was Damon’s BFF for years. They still remember each other and every now and then Elias will ask Trish about Damon, or Damon will ask me about Elias. I think they’re going to have a blast getting reacquainted, and I can’t wait to see them together again!
6. Three whole days with my husband! Weekends are usually really busy for Nick… he works part-time at his “real” job and he DJs on Friday and Saturday nights, and there’s usually something going on with the Scouts. So, unlike most of the world, we don’t generally look forward to weekends around here! It’s going to be really nice to spend that time with him, without worrying about work and Scouts and other responsibilities for a change.
7. Speaking of responsibilities… three whole days away from my dogs!!! I do love them; I do. But I get downright giddy when we drop them off at the kennel for a few days. I know they’re in good hands, and I looooove the break from them! Two dogs are a lot of work on a daily basis (thanks eversomuch to my husband for bringing these animals into my life… no, I’ll never completely forgive him!).
8. Change of scenery. I love living in the Hills. It’s gorgeous here. The changing leaves during the Fall; the oodles of snow during the Winter… I love all of that. But, it’s always nice to get away and see something different. We’ll be leaving the Hills and driving up and down mountains… and then we’ll cross the Bay… and find ourselves on the most boring, straight, flat road for the last 2 hours of our trip. But it’ll be a refreshing change!
9. Candy Kitchen. Turtles. Milk chocolate pecan clusters, or whatever it is they call them… they’re turtles. And they’re the BEST turtles on the planet. And I’ll be eating them like mad and bringing some home with me, with any luck!
10. Scrapple. I’m not sure where I’m going to cook scrapple while I’m there (Gram’s or Trish’s, I suppose!!), but I’m going to get my fill of scrapple, I promise you. Rapa Scrapple. It’s calling my name!! (Clearly I won’t be worrying about healthy eating while we’re traveling!) I still don’t understand why the farmers in WV can’t figure out the whole scrapple thing… but, even if they tried, it wouldn’t be the same!
11. A night out with my Mommy Friends. Oops, did I already mention that one? I’m realllllly looking forward to it! 🙂
12. Sitting on Trish’s couch. I know we have a lot to fit into a short visit, but at some point, I’m going to plant myself on Trish’s couch and let her make me some coffee (isn’t she lucky??) and just enjoy being there, visiting with her, running my mouth about nothing and everything… just like old times! I can’t tell you how many days I spent just hanging out and sitting on Trish’s couch… while our kids ran around like hooligans together… and it was always such an inviting, comfortable place to be. I can’t wait to be back there again, just like two years haven’t passed us by in the blink of an eye.
13. Returning home. There’s nothing like a few days away to make you appreciate coming back home! I’ll be thrilled to get back to the Hills… to get back to my dogs and my dirty little house… back to business as usual, but with fond memories of the weekend still fresh in my mind (and oodles of pictures to share, of course!).
The purpose of this meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others’ comments. It’s easy, and fun!
Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
Find out more about Thursday Thirteen here.