I’ve seen this darn meme all over the place lately, and I finally broke down and asked Heather at Book Addiction to let me play along! She assigned me a letter, and now I have to make a list of 10 things I love that start with the letter “C.”
1. Commas. There’s a reason “Comma” is part of my blog title (and not just because it conveniently rhymed with “momma”). I AM crazy about commas, oddly enough, and I find that most people do NOT share my fondness for them, even though they’re soooo useful! When I’m editing all of these medical journals/books, I find that my right hand is hovering over the comma key on my keyboard about 90% of the time. I love commas (particularly ones of the serial variety!!), and I’m not afraid to use them. I’ve never really understood what it is that people have against the serial comma… anyone care to enlighten me?
2. Crabs. I was born and raised in Maryland, so this one is a no-brainer. Blue crabs are a way of life over there. I think I could pick a crab before I could talk. There are a lot of things that I miss about Maryland now that I’m no longer a resident… and crabs are wayyy at the top of that list! This summer, I’ll have a horrible craving for some crabs and Old Bay… and I’m not quite sure what I’m gonna do about that. Road trip?!?!
3. Carpet. I am a fan of feeling carpet under my feet. I know that the trend these days is to pull up the carpet and put down hardwood (or that fake, laminate stuff) floors… but I don’t think I’ll ever feel the need to join in on this trend. It might be easier to keep clean, but I just don’t think hardwood says “cozy” like some nice, plush carpet! Growing up, my stepdad owned a carpet business, and I spent many a Saturday climbing around on the big rolls of carpet in the Carpet Hut basement… maybe that’s why I’m partial to the stuff.
4. Chinese food. Anytime I meet Nick for lunch and he asks where I want to eat, the answer is always the same — the closest Chinese buffet, please! What’s not to love?? I think I’m maybe the only person in this hick town who actually runs straight to the sushi bar part of the buffet… yummm. I’ve even turned Avery into a sushi fan.
5. Chatterbox. All of my scrapping friends had to know that this would be on my list, right? Chatterbox is my favorite scrapbook manufacturer… or it used to be, anyway. I’m not really “in love” with their newer lines, but I have quite a stockpile of the “old Chatterbox” and I just looooove it!
6. A Clean House. You’d never know it by looking around MY filthy, dirty, cluttered home, but I do love a clean house. I come from a long line of neat freaks, so I know I have the gene… somewhere inside of me. Unfortunately, I also have a lazy gene, so my house is rarely a “clean” one. But on that rare occasion that I find the motivation (or when my mom comes by and cleans for me, even better!), I love it when my house is clean and organized.
7. Christmas. As a mom, I’m usually relieved when Christmas is over and done… and we’ve somehow survived another one. But, Christmas has always been a “magical” time, and I love everything about it. The music, the lights, the tree, the gifts, the cookies, the kids’ excitement… you name it.
8. My Camera. I’m always the Crazy Camera Lady, everywhere I go… I never leave home without it. I don’t have a super duper fancy camera, and I’m certainly not a great photographer. But I love to capture every single moment of my kids’ lives on film (or memory card!). Sometimes I get a little carried away and find that I’m not really experiencing things I should because I’m too worried about taking photos instead. But, at the end of the day, when the moment has passed, I love to have photos to hold onto those memories. I think my kids will appreciate my camera obsession someday!
9. Comet. I love my big, stupid, hairy Golden Retriever. I tried so hard to hate this dog 2 years ago when Nick brought him home and said “Surprise!” I really did. I hated the idea of Comet, and I didn’t want to fall in love with him… but how could you not love him? He’s beautiful and cuddly and doesn’t have a mean bone in his hairy body. And I just love him to pieces, plain and simple.
10. Comments. I love it when someone reads a blog post of mine and is then inspired to hit that “leave a comment” button. *hint, hint*
So, there you have it… ten things I love that start with the letter “C!” If you’d like to play along with this meme, leave a comment on this post and I’ll assign you a letter (and I promise it won’t take me a month this time, Ellie!).